External Relations Manager
St. Mary’s City was Maryland’s first settlement and for sixty-one years, until 1695, its colonial capital. After the capital moved to Annapolis, the land at St. Mary’s was farmed for nearly 300 years. In 1966 the State of Maryland created the St. Mary’s City Commission to develop plans to preserve and interpret the first capital. Since the 1960’s, with emphasis on the 17 th century, the museum’s Research staff and international scholars have studied the history of the City, preserved its archaeological resources, and interpreted the region’s history, culture, and economy for the public.
The Manager of External Relations is responsible for a wide array of tasks associated with promoting and branding Historic St. Mary’s City in an effort to engage current and new audiences. Reporting to the Director of Business Enterprises, he Manager’s efforts focus on developing and overseeing traditional and social media initiatives, including blogs, podcasts, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, videos, and printed materials in order to build brand awareness, generate inbound traffic to the website, build online community, engage with the local/regional community, and encourage visitation and donor support.
The Manager understands how those actions will be integrated into the overall museum mission and strategy. Given the emerging communications technologies and social media outlets, the incumbent is expected to track and keep current with developments in the field. The Manager will be part of an established team that includes staff from all museum departments.
Essential knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Creativity and entrepreneurial ingenuity to evaluate and develop museum practices to achieve greater levels of income, visitation, visibility, effectiveness and efficiency for the organization
- Ability to initiate change within museum communications to further the museum’s mission and build audience
- Knowledgeable on social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.); One to two years social media experience
- Willingness to learn and develop skills continually
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; strong collaborative skills to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Experience and knowledge with a minimum of years (2) years’ experience working directly in a similar facility, e.g. non-profit, museum, entertainment attraction, and/or in organizational administration or program management.
- Experience in graphic design
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Familiarity with principles of SEO “Search Engine Optimization”.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field. BA in business, marketing or communications preferred or any combination of education and experience that satisfies the prerequisite criteria for the assigned duties
To be considered for this position please send your resume, three professional references and a sample of writing in pdf form to email@example.com. If you prefer to mail these items, please mail them to: Porzia Purves, Personnel, P.O. Box 39, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686
Salary is dependent on experience with an excellent benefits package. For a detailed job description please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: 6/15/2018
HSMC is an EEO organization.
|Employment Sector||State Government|
|Type of Position||Full-Time Permanent|
|Years of Experience Required||2|
|Wage/Salary||Dependent on experience|
|Start Date||Monday, July 9, 2018|
- St. Mary's County
- St. Mary's City
Member Since: May 8, 2015
St. Marys City, Maryland
Visit My Web Site
Public Questions - Login Required
Be the first to ask a question about this listing!