Church Treasurer Job Description
Patuxent Presbyterian Church “Pax Pres” in California, Maryland, is seeking a part time experienced Church Treasurer. This position requires an average of 25 hours per week that includes some office hours. Pax Pres is a vibrant church with about 400 members, the Honey MacCallum Preschool (HMC), and is a member of the Fellowship Community. We are located about 60 miles south of Washington, DC.
This is the position description for the position of Treasurer for the Congregation and the Corporation. This person reports operationally to the Finance Ministry and administratively to the Administrative Elders. The goal of this position is to provide the necessary leadership, management and attention to detail to ensure that church financial matters comply with the Presbyterian Church USA, Federal, and state of Maryland fiscal management and taxation requirements. Working with the financial ministry ensures that the church has adequate cash for operations, yet yields a profit from interest and investments, and maintains financial flexibility required for major repairs.
The person filling this position must possess:
- Commitment to abide with and be guided by the values, vision and mission of Patuxent Presbyterian Church
- Two (2) years or more of experience in the Finance field; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Accounting experience using computerized accounting software; nonprofit accounting experience preferred. Experience with ParishSoft Accounting (“CMS”) a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of standard office software including MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Ability to work well with the Session, other church officers, employees, and other members of the church.
- Must be detail oriented, with demonstrated initiative to solve problems and take on new tasks.
- All applicants are subject to pre-screening drug tests and background checks. Professional and personal references will be checked.
III. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent in this position shall do the following for the Treasurer duties:
- Receive, count and deposit funds from the weekly offering and work with the Financial Secretary that the contributions are properly recorded. Prepare and submit the donation ACH by the 15 of each month. Post credit card donations from website monthly. Likewise receive various other payments, as well as, interest payments from financial institutions.
- Prepare and submit monthly tuition pulls for HMC and record deposit accordingly in CMS.
- Work with offering counting teams to collect and count the weekly offerings.
- Administer the payroll system for the employees and independent contractors of the church. Prepare and submit ACH direct deposit for both church and HMC preschool. Prepare and submit Form 941 quarterly and W-2 and 3 and gather W-4’s on an annual basis.
- Pay the bills that have been incurred by the church and HMC and record these payments against the proper accounts. Work hand in hand with ministry leaders for approval on reimbursements. Reconcile the credit card bills with receipts and review the transactions thereby providing the church with financial checks and balances.
- Reconcile each of the Church’s, including HMC’s, bank accounts at various Financial Institutions.
- Provide monthly financial reports for the church at large and for the trustees, deacons, and session ministries. Track contributions and expenditures by month and make recommendations related to cash management.
- Enter yearly budget amounts into church accounting software for the Church and HMC Preschool. Assist ministries in updating their budgets, as needed.
- Prepare for and work hand in hand with the church audit team including remediating audit findings, as needed.
- Keep Treasurer’s procedure’s manual up to date.
- Enter monthly journal entries, if necessary.
- Supervise and mentor the Assistant Treasurer, if necessary.
- Attend monthly Finance ministry meetings, staff meetings and staff retreats, as scheduled.
IV. HOURS OF WORK, SALARY/LEAVE/BENEFITS – Detailed on the Terms of Employment
Interested candidates with questions should contact Grace Debbink, Treasurer@paxpres.org.
|Employment Sector||Private Company|
|Type of Position||Part-Time to Full-Time|
|Education Required||Not Specified|
|Years of Experience Required||2|
|Start Date||Wednesday, July 15, 2020|
- St. Mary's County
Public Questions - Login Required
Be the first to ask a question about this listing!